Wednesday, January 25, 2012




Fire   cider


“Here, Rusty, I have something for you—horseradish root, ginger root, and some garlic cloves. I told you yesterday at Tai Chi I would bring some to church this morning in case you wanted to make some fire cider this week. I forgot the cayenne pepper though.”

Well, I had never heard of fire cider before, but Jim, my husband, found this recipe for fire cider on the Herbal Remedies site after seeing it mentioned in the Old Farmers Almanac.

One person from Herbal Remedies said no kitchen should be without fire cider. Some use it as an all-natural, organic herbal remedy for cold and flu and as an over-all tonic, taking about a half tablespoon a day.

It is supposed to loosen congestion, increase circulation, and aid digestion. It can be rubbed into sore muscles and aching joints as well.

I read that it can also be used in place of vinegar in most recipes and is especially good as a salad dressing when mixed with olive oil or mayonnaise  with a little salt and pepper.

The recipe Jim used had apple cider vinegar, horseradish root, ginger root, onion, garlic, and cayenne pepper. It needs to steep for two to eight weeks and then be strained into a clean jar.

The recipe said drink it straight or diluted in a bit of water or tomato juice. I thought it was interesting that it suggested starting out with a teaspoon or so to test your tolerance level.

Looking at this from a spiritual aspect which I am in the habit of doing with about everything, I’m glad I don’t have to test my tolerance level for Jesus by starting out small with my devotion to Him.

I know that He certainly doesn’t with me. He has given me His full love from the very beginning, even before I was born as He does with everyone. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his one and only Son that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”(John 3:16 NIV)

Love in Jesus,
God’s “on fire” servant,
Liz Ray
Written January 25, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment